TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - StopTech Wheel Wobble
People Seeking Info

Subject StopTech Wheel Wobble

Posted by WE350Z on July 02, 2015 at 7:27 PM
  This message has been viewed 536 times.

Message I've had StopTech 4-Piston ST-40 front calipers and StopTech Front 332mm slotted Aero rotors installed on my vehicle since about mid-2009. They were OK at first, then they started wobbling really badly. it came with Axxiss performance pads.

I called StopTech and they basically said either they were installed wrong and/or I had worn suspension parts and/or that I am getting uneven pad deposit because I'm riding the brakes. They told me to buy a set of race pads to clean up the rotors then re-bed. Didn't seem like a very good answer to me. They even have this posted in the Technical Support section of their website:

The "Warped" Brake Disc and Other Myths of the Braking System

Removal of Uneven Pad Deposits with Aggressive Friction

To make things worse the master cylinder shit the bed (guessing because it was old and used to the less powerful shitty stock brakes) so I replaced that, got a full Motul bleed, had the rotors cut and new pro street pads installed (they even chamfered the pads).

Again brakes were perfect - then the steering wheel wobble worked it's way back in slowly. Now it vibrates like a mother fucker once again.

I pretty much would never buy a StopTech product again. I've spent a lot of money trying to fix these pieces of shit and been living with the issue for a long time.

I decided to try calling StopTech again and told them how frustrated I was. They connected me with supposedly the most knowledgeable tech there (I think his name was Keith). i explained the entire history to him and how I had replaced much of the front suspension. cut the rotors twice and STILL this problem persists.

He told me their Street Performance pad is a 1500 degree pad and he thinks it might be too aggressive for my driving style / application furthermore it would actually be better on the track, and I probably would never get it up to temp on the street so it might lose the transfer layer and build up runout from pad deposits. Basically if you like to brake sharply and stop on the brakes vs. downshifting this is the pad for you. He is suggesting the posi-quiet ceramic 105 (no brake dust). He told me to run my dial runout indicator on the fronts and if they exceed .001" (need to check that spec) that I will need to either first have the rotors cut (or run my Hawk Blue pads around the block a few times). I think I need to re-bed the new pads. So a pain in the ass but nothing too crazy. I should have plenty of meat left on the rotors.

[ http://www.stoptech.com/products/brake-pads ]

Thoughts?? Anyone had this experience?

2006 Scion tC (Sold)
2004 Yamaha YZF-R6 (Sold)
2003 Nissan 350Z Track (Sold)
2000 BMW X5 4.4i
1993 300ZX Twin Turbo
1985 Nissan 300ZX NA (Sold)
http://WE350Z.com>v
WE350Z at gmail dot com

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.